Welcome to First Filipina

The Online Reference on Filipino Trailblazers | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |

VISIT MY FILIPINO SITES

6.09.2011

Diane Desierto




Diane Desierto


  • 1st Filipina to be conferred the Doctor of Laws (J.C.D) by Yale University (2011)
  • 1st Filipina and 1st Southeast Asian Clerkship Appointee at the International Court of Justice (2010)
  • 1st Filipina to join Yale Law School's JSD [Doctor of Laws] program (2009)


QUOTE
"I enjoyed economics and calculus as much as I did history, philosophy, world literature, and later, law. My parents were role models for their work ethic, and they also nurtured my intellectual bent and passion for inquiry. As lawyers and career civil servants in the Philippines, my parents encouraged me to learn, to understand, to ask questions, to propose solutions, to have a vigorous socio-political consciousness, and to choose and take principled actions.

Despite their work, they always prioritized me and my siblings. My mother first taught me to read and write, while my father encouraged me to explore what I did not know through books, puzzles, games, active inquiry, frequent discussions, debates, public speaking, critical writing. My parents never had to force me or my siblings to study because learning became as natural as breathing."



DATE OF BIRTH
June 9, 1979

BIRTHPLACE
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

FATHER: Aniano A. Desierto
MOTHER: Teresita


USEFUL LINKS

Yale Law School | Diane Desierto
Diane Desierto, First Filipino Clerkship Appointee at the International Court of Justice
UP Law's Diane Desierto chosen for ICJ clerkship

Did you know...

  • ...that President Noynoy Aquino was the first Filipino bachelor to become President of the Republic of the Philippines?
  • ...that Astronomer Armando Lee was the first Filipino Master of Science (MS) degree holder in Astronomy in the Philippines?
  • ...that race driver Marlon Stockinger was the first Filipino-Swiss race winner in the Michelin Formula Renault UK Championship?
  • ...that Joy Rojas was the first Filipina to run across 3,107 miles across the United States?
  • ...that boxing champion Manny Pacquiao was the first Filipino sports billionaire?
  • ...that José Rizal was given the label 'First Filipino' by Leon Ma. Guerrero, the first Filipino Ambassador to Germany?